More than half of the vehicles sold in the U.S. are light-duty pickup trucks, SUVs and crossovers. There’s a big demand for used pickup trucks, both gas and diesel.
The used pickup truck market is estimated to be three times bigger than the new-truck market. Those who can’t afford to buy a new pickup, or who like to take advantage of some great deals, are always searching for the best deal on a used pickup truck.
At Dye Autos, we sell a lot of used pickup trucks.
Here are 5 important details to look for and consider when buying a used pickup truck.
1. Work with a dealer to set your budget.
It’s important to understand your budget and know what kind of truck you want. There are many options to choose from it’s crucial to set your expectations.
Start with an expert – a trusted dealer. At Dye Autos, we’ll help you determine what used pickup truck works for your lifestyle and your financial needs. We’ll give you a framework to work within so that shopping won’t get overwhelming.
2. Make a list to identify your wants and needs.
Many people approach buying a used pickup truck based on features they think they must have, rather than from a true evaluation of their needs. Making payments on a truck that’s too large or too small gets old real fast.
Consider these questions to identify your priorities.
- Is fuel mileage important, or are you willing to trade good fuel mileage for a larger engine with more power to tow and haul?
- Do you need a truck for occasional trips to the home improvement store or to the dump? A small truck with decent fuel economy might be the best choice.
- Is a 4WD truck a must for the roads you travel every day, or for snowy conditions in the winter?
- Do you regularly carry more than one passenger? Jump seats in a small second row are not suitable for more than short trips.
- Are you okay with either an automatic or manual transmission? Which accessories and/or safety features are must-haves? Jot down any characteristic that’s important to you and take it along when you shop.
3. Prioritize your lifestyle needs too.
Many people buy trucks for work but many others are just partial to diving pickup trucks. For them it’s a matter of lifestyle.
It’s important to make a list of the features most important to you that fit your lifestyle.
- Will you be hauling or transporting heavy materials?
- Do you drive mostly on highways or dirt and unpaved roads?
- Do you have kids that you’ll be driving back and forth to classes, soccer practice, dance recital, or school plays?
Prioritizing your lifestyle needs will help you decide which features you should be looking for first when shopping for your used pickup truck—be it larger cab space, a second row of seating, a stronger hitch, or a more powerful engine.
4. Get pre-approved.
At Dye Autos, we are the truck financing experts.
We’ve got 70 years of combined truck financing experience and 100 years in automotive retail. We’ve seen every situation and we can help you. How?
- We know what banks require.
- We often get customers approved while they’re here at the dealership.
- We have access to finance anyone.
- We’ll get you pre-approved faster than anyone.
5. Once you buy, stop looking.
Don’t second guess yourself!
You’ve done your homework, shopped around, found a trustworthy dealer, and made a careful decision. Now it’s time to enjoy your truck and not worry about the elusive truck that “got away.”